AT A GLANCE
- Name: Jon Montgomery
- Born: 1979
- Hometown: Russell, Manitoba
- Current home: Calgary, Alberta
- Height: 5'9"/175 cm
- Weight: 165 lb/75 kg
- Sport: Skeleton
- Experience: 10 years
- Level: Olympic Champion, World Cup Tour and Senior National Team
- Olympic Games: 2010 Gold Medalist - Skeleton
- World Cup Tour: 4 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze
- World Championships: Silver
- Visa Canadian Championships: 5X's National Champion
- Education: Automotive Marketing/International Management , Northwood University, Cedar Hills, Texas
- Occupation (outside of competing): Sales Consultant/Automobile Auctioneer
This year, Jon is sacrificing what would have been his 10th competitive season in skeleton racing to perform a larger volume of runs and develop his equipment to ensure his—and Canada's—best possible chance of success in Sochi, Russia in 2014.
But Jon also has an even more ambitious goal. In August 2011, the athlete married fellow skeleton racer Darla Deschamps. Together, Jon and Darla are looking to become the only married couple to both medal in individual sports in Olympic history. And with their work ethic, accompanied by the support of family, friends, sponsors and Canadians from coast to coast, Jon and Darla are on track to achieve their dream in 2014.
THE BEGINNINGSJon got his start in skeleton racing in March 2002, after witnessing a skeleton race at Calgary’s Canada Olympic Park while on a self-guided tour with his parents. One week later, Jon experienced the exciting sport first hand at a Discover Skeleton School. He hasn’t looked back since.
Over the next few years, Jon steadily climbed the rankings while sailing head-first down frozen tracks all over the world. First competing on the America's Cup and Europa Cup circuits, Jon has competed on the World Cup Tour and Senior National Team since 2006